Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Advent

This would have been more appropriate to post on December 1, but guess what? I'm behind ... the story of my life.

Last year, I bought this super fun Advent book for the kids, and each night we add a new part of the REAL Christmas story to our reading. (So, by the time we get to day 24, the kids have heard days 1-23 multiple times. It is supposed to help them learn the story.) You know ... repetition.

David was more interested in his MagnaDoodle than hearing the story of Jesus' birth, but he'll get it one day.

Claire really likes this particular Advent book because she gets to open a door inside the book each day to reveal the next part of the story. She calls it, "the door book". She does not miss a thing!

If you're wondering where I got this book, it is called The Advent Book by Jack & Kathy Stockman and it is a nice hardback coffee table-sized book. The edition we have is out of print, but I did notice that it was re-published last year so you should be able to find it. I ordered mine "gently used" on Amazon.



David wandered off with his "doodle" when Will started reading.


And then he wandered back.

Next year, in addition to reading the Advent story each night, I would like to do some type of activity each day with the kids. There are lots of good ideas floating around out there on the internet. Maybe if I start planning now, I will have it ready to go for next year! Wishful thinking I do believe.

My favorite part of the Christmas story: "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Luke 2:19 (NIV).

No comments: